Leaf Blower Regulations
Spring / Fall Cleanup Seasons
MARCH 15 THROUGH JUNE 1 (SPRING CLEANUP)
SEPTEMBER 15 THROUGH DECEMBER 15 (FALL CLEANUP)
Gas-powered leaf blowers permitted subject to the following restrictions:
• Monday through Friday – 8:00am to 5:00pm
• Saturday, Sunday, federal holidays – 10:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
No more than a total of two handheld or backpack leaf blowers at a time, unless property is greater than one-half acre. If greater than one-half acre, no quantity limit.
No walk-behind leaf blowers are permitted, unless property is greater than one-half acre.
All blowers must meet EPA exhaust standards and be operated and maintained in accordance with manufacturer’s instructions and specifications.
Handheld or backpack leaf blowers must operate at a noise level of 70 dBA or less.
Other Times Besides Cleanup Seasons
JUNE 2 THROUGH SEPTEMBER 14
DECEMBER 16 THROUGH MARCH 14
No gas-powered leaf blowers permitted, except:
On one- or two-family properties:
• The property owner may use one gas-powered leaf blower once a week for no more than 30 minutes and only during the following time periods: Monday through Friday, between 8:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m.; Saturday, Sunday and federal holidays, between 10:00 a.m. and 4:00 p.m.
On multifamily, cluster residential developments, and attached one-family dwelling developments:
• Gas-powered leaf blowers may be used between 9:00 a.m. and noon Monday through Friday and not at all on Saturdays, Sundays and federal holidays.
Gas-powered leaf blowers permitted:
• When responding to an emergency or removing snow.
• Golf and tennis clubs and municipal employees performing their regular duties, but not within 100 feet of the nearest residence.
Electric or battery-operated leaf blowers permitted with no limitations.